Tourist Application Requirements for a China Visa

Tourist Application Requirements for a China Visa: If you are looking for a way to acquire a tourist visa then this article is for you. Read to know more


Tourist Application Requirements for a China Visa

Tourist Application Requirements for a China Visa

  1. Passport

    You must provide your actual signed passport, including one copy of the personal information page of your passport. Your passport must:

    • Be valid for six months beyond the length of your requested visa (for example, if you are requesting a 12-month visa your passport must be valid for 18 months )
    • Contain at least two blank visa pages for the visa stamp (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
    • If requesting multiple entries, the passport must contain at least two blank facing visa pages, there can be no stamps or amendment endorsement type on the pages
    • Not be frayed, torn, separated, or altered in any other way

    If your passport does not meet these requirements, please contact VisaCentral at 877-535-0688 for further details.


  2. Photographs

    You must provide one color, passport-type photograph that meets the following criteria:

    • Be taken within the last six months, against an all-white background, and printed on high-quality photo paper
    • Be 48 mm tall by 33 mm wide exactly. Note many passport photo vendors provide standard photos that are 2 inches by 2 inches
    • Provide the full frontal view of your head with your face centered in the middle and displaying a neutral (non-smiling) expression, eyes open, ears visible
    • No background light or shadow over your face
    • You may not wear eyeglasses, jewelry, or headwear except for religious purposes
    • You should not wear any garment identical to the photo background
    • Your photo should not be affixed to your application and it may not display evidence of adhesive tape or staples


  3. Letter of Invitation

    To fulfill the tourist visa invite requirement, you must select one of the following options:

    • A copy of your round-trip airline ticket, or
    • Itinerary and airline confirmation: A copy of your day-by-day cruise itinerary, or if on a tour, your tour itinerary. In addition, you must provide a copy of your confirmed airline reservations showing all segments of your flights from your state of residence in the U.S. to China and returning to the U.S. to your state of residence. Your itinerary and flight information must include your full name as it appears on your passport, or
    • A copy of an official letter of invitation from a governmental agency or individual sponsor.  If you obtain a letter of invitation from an individual sponsor in China, the invitation must include the following:
      • Your name, gender, date of birth
      • Purpose of applicant’s visit
      • Date of arrival and departure
      • Places to visit, specific names of cities required
      • Details of your flight itinerary and hotel reservation
      • State who will bear the cost of the applicant’s lodging while in China
      • Information on the sponsor: name of the unit, phone number, address, copy of sponsor’s passport or ID
      • Have the company or organizations seal/stamp

    If your invitation is from a non-governmental sponsor your letter must include your job title/occupation, passport number with the issue, and expiration date. The relationship between the applicant and sponsor must also be stated. If the individual inviting you is in China on a work permit then you must provide a copy of the inviter’s residence permit

    The invitation may be a copy, fax, or printout but the consular office may request the original. 

  4. Proof of State Residency

    You must provide proof of your current address of residency. The document must either be a copy of the front of your driver’s license or government ID, or a utility bill. The document must:

    • Display your name as it appears on your passport
    • Display the current residence address as provided on your visa application

    Please note, that if you must submit a utility bill the consulate requires electric, gas, or a water bill; phone and cable bills are not accepted.


  5. VisaCentral Order Form

    Provide the VisaCentral Order Form included in this kit.


  6. Visa Application Form

    One fully completed and signed visa application form.  The application must:

    • Be completed online
    • Include answers for all required fields (NA where not applicable)
    • List the name of the traveler exactly as it is written in the passport
    • Be printed single-sided
    • Be dated and signed in blue or black ink
    • Be enclosed with all other documents in your visa application kit

    VisaCentral provides a guide to assist you in completing the application. To access the guide follow this link: Application Guide.pdf or type the address into your browser.


  7. Travel Record

    You must provide a copy of the travel record form included in this kit. The form must:

    • Include all countries that you have visited in the last 28 days
    • Be signed
    • Include entry/exit dates of each travel


  8. Health Declaration

    Applicants must provide the Health Declaration Form which can be found within the VisaCentral Application kit.


  9. Authorization Letter

    You must provide a letter of authorization found in this kit, authorizing VisaCentral to submit and collect your visa application and documents on your behalf.


  10. Former PRC Nationals or Individuals Born in Chinese Territories

    If you are a former PRC passport holder or were born in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Macau:

    • You must write your name in Chinese characters for question 1.2 on the visa application form
    • You must provide a copy of your most recent China visa and a copy of the passport in which the visa was issued
    • If you have never been issued a China visa you must submit your original China passport and a copy of your Green Card, and a copy of your Naturalization Certificate
    • If you were adopted from China you must also include a copy of your adoption papers showing your adoptive parents’ names, name change, and photo with your parents (do not include the original papers).  If applicable, include a copy of your naturalization certificate and U.S. birth certificate.


  11. Applicants Under the Age of 18

    All minors under the age of 18 traveling to China must:

    • Provide a copy of their birth certificate
    • Provide a copy of both parents’ passports or drivers’ licenses
    • Provide a copy of the parents’ proof of U.S. residency status (if not U.S. citizens)
    • Provide a notarized letter of consent from both parents (if the parents are not accompanying the minor on the trip) that states the child has permission to travel. To access a sample consent letter, follow this link: or type the address into your browser
    • On Page 4 (Part 4) of the application, both parents must sign Part 4 and print the name of the minor
    • On Page 4 (Part 5) of the application, one parent’s information must be filled in and that parent must sign Part 5


  12. Media Professionals and Religious Professionals

    If you are a religious professional, media professional, or employed by a media company, even if you are not traveling for business purposes, you must submit both a personal statement and a letter from your employer on company letterhead indicating that you are not traveling on company business and will not be performing any media or religious related work.


  13. Urgent Applications

    If you have an urgent visa application that carries a tight deadline, VisaCentral can help you to save valuable time and avoid expensive delays. A VisaCentral expert will review all of your documents to certify your application is accurate, complete, and ready for submission. We will contact you personally to quickly handle any mistakes ensuring your application is submitted correctly. Visit to learn more about this service.

  14. Cruise Passengers

    Cruise ship passengers: You must list the city where your ship docks in China in the Chinese address section of the application form.

  15. Previous Visas

    If you have been granted a China visa in the past, you must provide a copy of the most recent issued China visa. If the visa is not located in your current passport, you must submit the original passport containing the previous China visa.

  16. China Visa Validity

    Applicants will be eligible for a 10-year visa provided that the traveler has at least one year of remaining validity on their U.S. Passport. If you have less than one year you will be granted a six-month visa to China.

    VisaCentral can help you renew your passport. Call 877-535-0688 for more information.


  17. U.S. Citizens Born in Certain Countries

    U.S. citizens born in Afghanistan, Cameroon, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Nigeria, Tunisia, Turkey, or Syria who are currently traveling to China with their American passport will need to make a personal appearance in order to apply for a visa to China. VisaCentral will be unable to assist you with your visa request.

  18. NGO/Non-Profit Workers

    If applying for a tourist visa, you must provide an employer letter and personal statement. Processing time varies on a case-by-case basis. If your employer is an NGO or nonprofit your application will require additional review by the China Visa Section.

  19. Applicants with Criminal Record

    Travelers with a criminal record will be required to appear in person at the consulate in order to provide biometrics.

  20. Proof of Vaccine

    You may provide your original CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Card showing full vaccination status or you may provide a notarized copy of the front and back of the Vaccination card.

  21. Additional Documents

    You must complete a “Where You Stay” form included in these kits.