How to Obtain a Canadian Study Permit – See Full Guidelines

Are you still in search of How to Obtain a Canadian Study Permit as a study who want to study abroad? In here on this page article we shall be guiding you on the few steps to apply for study permit.

Once you obtain a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution such as a university or college, you need to submit an application to IRCC to obtain a study permit.

An applicant for a Canadian study permit may include his or her family members on the application, so that they may accompany the applicant to Canada. An accompanying spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit, enabling them to work for any Canadian employer, and minor children may be able to study at Canadian elementary and secondary schools. To learn more, click here.

Most international students require a study permit. You do not need a study permit if your program in Canada is for six months or less. In addition, minor children and other individuals may be exempt from requiring a Canadian study permit. To learn more about studying in Canada without a study permit, click here.

Get Required documents ready

Before you apply for a study permit, you need:

  • an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • a valid passport or travel document
  • proof you can support yourself, and any family members who come with you, while you’re in Canada

Find out which documents you need before you apply for a study permit.

Get the instructions

Answer a few questions to get the next steps for your situation.

Where are you applying from? (required)

  • Outside Canada
  • Inside Canada
  • At a port of entry

How to apply

Submit your complete study permit application for the fall 2021 semester

If we receive your complete study permit application by May 15, 2021, you’ll get a decision by August 6, 2021, in time to attend the fall semester.

We may not be able to process your application by August 6, 2021, if you’re unable to submit a complete application because of COVID-19 restrictions, such as reduced service at

  • visa application centres (VACs)
  • other providers

If you submit a complete application after May 15, 2021, we will process it as quickly as possible—but you may not get a final decision before the fall semester begins.

Generally, you must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. Some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada. In some cases, you can apply when you arrive in Canada at the port of entry. Make sure you understand which option is available to you.

How applying online helps you

  • No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
  • Your applications may be processed more quickly.
  • It helps you make sure your application is complete before you submit it.
  • You can quickly submit more documents online (if we ask you to).
  • You get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.

NOTE: It is important to apply for a study permit immediately upon receiving the letter of acceptance. Study permit processing times vary, and applicants may see delays during busy times — particularly during the summer months.

Supported Required Documents To Be Submitted

The applicant may also be required to submit the following supporting documents:

  • Passport for the applicant and every family member included on the application;
  • Two passport photos for the applicant and each family member included on the application, with the full name and date of birth written on the back;
  • Photocopy of marriage certificate, if applicable; and,
  • Any further documents required by specific visa offices.

Fast-track option: Student Direct Stream (SDS)

You can get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) if you live in one of the following countries:

  • India
  • China
  • The Philippines
  • Pakistan
  • Vietnam
  • Morocco
  • Senegal
  • IRCC’s processing standard for most SDS applications is 20 calendar days. Applications must be submitted online.

Citizens of these countries must be residing in the country to be eligible for the SDS (e.g., they cannot be residing in another country if they want to apply for a study permit through the SDS).

To be eligible for the SDS, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a legal resident living in either India, China, the Philippines, Pakistan, Vietnam, Morocco, or Senegal
  • Have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian designated learning institution
  • Live outside of Canada when you apply for the study permit
  • Have proof that you have paid your tuition for your first year of study in Canada
  • Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) with a participating Canadian bank of $10,000 CAD
  • Obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (Quebec Acceptance Certificate, or CAQ) if you plan to study in Quebec
  • Obtain a medical exam before submitting your application (if you are required to get one)
  • Obtain a police certificate before submitting your application (if you are required to get one)
  • Have your most recent school transcripts (secondary and post-secondary)

Obtain a language test result of at least the following:

  • A minimum of 6.0 in each skill on the IELTS (reading, writing, speaking, and listening)
  • A TEF score equivalent to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of a minimum of 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
  • Financial support
  • Applicants for a Canadian study permit are required to prove they have enough money to cover the first year of tuition fees.
  • They also need to have the financial resources to support themselves, and any accompanying family members, each year.

Financial resources may be proven with the following information:

  • Canadian bank account statements in the applicant’s name, if money has been transferred to Canada
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating financial institution
  • Proof of a student or educational loan from a financial institution
  • The applicant’s bank statements from the past four months
  • A bank draft in convertible currency
  • Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
  • A letter from the person or institution providing you with money; and/or
  • Proof of a scholarship or funding paid from within Canada
  • Family or friends of the applicant may also submit letters confirming that they will support the applicant during his or her studies.

In addition, if you are a member of foreign armed forces of a country that is a designated state under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a study permit. To find out if your country is listed as a designated state, please click here.