Health Benefits of Coconut – coconut is a very rich fruit that come from the palm tree family (Arecaceae) and the only known living species of the genus Cocos which botanically is a drupe, not a nut. Like other fruits, it has three layers: the exocarp, mesocarp, and endocarp. The exocarp and mesocarp make up the “husk” of the coconuts. Coconuts sold in the shops of nontropical countries often have had the exocarp (outermost layer) removed. it’s mesocarp is composed of a fiber, called coir, which has many traditional and commercial uses. it’s shell has three germination pores (micropyles) or “eyes” that are clearly visible on its outside surface once the husk is removed.
Coconuts are known for their different uses, ranging from food to cosmetics. They are different from other fruits because their endosperm contains a large quantity of clear liquid known as coconut milk which is low in calories, carbohydrates, sugars, and almost completely fat-free. It is high in ascorbic acid, B vitamins, and proteins.
The soft meat, or flesh, inside the coconut helps to restore oxidative tissue damage and contains a source of healthy fats, proteins, and various vitamins and minerals. Coconuts, when ripe and mature can be used as edible seeds, or processed for oil and plant milk from the flesh, charcoal from the hard shell, and coir from the fibrous husk. The flesh when dry could is called copra and the oil can be used for cooking and cosmetic purposes (soap, cream, hair products, etc).
The types of coconut:
Many varieties of coconuts C. nucifera are being cultivated in many countries. These vary by the taste of the coconut water and color of the fruit, as well as other genetic factors:
- Dwarf yellow coconut
- Dwarf orange coconut
- Golden Malay coconut
- Dwarf green coconut
- Fiji Dwarf
- Green Malay coconut
- King coconut
- Yellow Malay coconut etc
Top 10 Health Benefits of Coconuts:
- it has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasite properties, therefore helps to improve the immune system.
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- Improves insulin secretion and symptoms associated with diabetes.
- Helps protect the body from cancers due to insulin reduction, removal of free radicals that cause premature aging and degenerative diseases.
- Provides a natural source of quick energy therefore enhances physical and athletic performance.
- Reduces risk of heart health and improves good cholesterol.
- Restores and supports thyroid function.
- Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infection.
- Promotes weight loss.
- Helps keep hair and skin healthy and youthful looking, prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, age spots, and provides sun protection.
the health benefits of coconut cannot be over emphasized because coconut is one of the few crops that everything contained in it has vital benefits, its health benefits ranges from having antimicrobial properties to been able to aid diabetes patients in survival etc.
Hope this article is helpful? tell me what you learnt in the comment box below..Thank you.