Do you qualify to enter the American DV Lottery 2023 Diversity Visa Green Card Lottery? Enrollment into the DV-2023 Diversity Visa Lottery program is open to all individuals worldwide, however, there are two entry requirements that you must meet before you can enter the USA DV-Lottery.
There is a limited period of time during which you can register for the Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) Program during each fiscal year. Each year the United States Government grants 50,000 green cards to people from countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States of America.
How to Qualify for USA Diversity Visa Program
To qualify for this American immigration Green Card DV Lottery, you must meet two requirements. Note, this year’s (2023) Green Card DV-Lottery is called the DV-2023 Lottery, where 2023 is the year the winners may enter the USA on their new green card that they won in this year DV-Lottery.
Most individuals worldwide can enter the Green Card DV Lottery, as long as they meet two simple, but strict eligibility requirements. Natives from countries who have sent more than 50,000 immigrants to the United States over the past five years are not eligible to enter the Diversity Visa Lottery, see the DV-Lottery Requirements for a list of countries whose nationals are not eligible to enter the Green Card DV-Lottery this year.
1. To enter the Diversity Visa Lottery you must be a native of a qualifying country
To enter the DV-2023 Diversity Visa Green Card Lottery you must be a native of a country with a low immigration rate to the USA to qualify for the USA Diversity Visa Lottery. People born in countries with high U.S. immigration are excluded from this Diversity Visa Lottery. Please see the list below of countries whose natives are currently excluded from the USA Diversity Lottery.
Please note that eligibility is determined only by the country of your birth, not based on your country of citizenship or current residence. This is the most common misperception. The only change this year is that people born in Honduras and Hong Kong SAR are no longer eligible to enter the DV-2023 green card lottery.
American DV Lottery 2023 Eligible Countries
Natives of the following countries are excluded from entering the DV-2023 Diversity Visa Lottery program this year:
- China (Including Hong Kong SAR)
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- South Korea
- United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland)
Note that the United Kingdom includes the following dependent areas: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena, and the Turks and Caicos Islands. Northern Ireland does qualify.
- Persons born in the Gaza Strip are chargeable to Egypt for the USA Diversity Visa Lottery this year.
- Persons born in Macau SAR and Taiwan are also eligible to enter the DV-2023 Lottery.
- Natives from all other countries may register for this year’s DV-Lottery, the USA DV-2023 Diversity Visa Lottery.
Who Can Apply for USA DV Lottery 2023 | USA Green Card Lottery
There are simple but strict eligibility requirements:
- The DV lottery program provides green cards to foreign citizens in countries with low immigration rates to the US in the previous five years. Generally, countries, where less than 50,000 natives immigrated to the US in the last five years, meet these criteria. If you are a native from one of the following countries, you are not eligible for this period: Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (mainland born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam.
- American DV Lottery 2023 Applicants must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent, or two years’ work experience over the past five years in an eligible field that requires at least two years of training.
- **New requirement this year** Applicants must have a valid, unexpired passport to participate. This requirement is implemented to curb high numbers of fraudulent enrollments in the program, typically by fraudulent organizations submitting entries as a scam. (Therefore, it is strongly encouraged to complete the entry form on your behalf.)
USA DV-2023 Diversity Visa Lottery Registration
Green Card DV-Lottery applications are only accepted online, the US Government does not accept paper applications anymore. The USA Government implemented the electronic registration system in 2003, beginning with the DV-2005 Lottery in order to make the Green Card DV-Lottery process more efficient and secure.
The USA Government utilizes special technology and other means to identify those who commit fraud for the purposes of illegal immigration or those who submit multiple entries. Submitting multiple entries will get you disqualified. The online registration process is a fast, secure, and reliable three-step process that you are required to use if you want to register for the American Green Card DV Lottery.
The US Green Card Diversity Visa Lottery Application Process:
- Take the test to ensure you qualify to enter the DV-Lottery
- Pay the administrative DV-Lottery Application fee
- Receive your registration number and password to your account
- Log into your account and complete/change your information
- Provide/upload photos of yourself and any co-applicant
- Submit your Green Card DV-Lottery application
- Check online, if you won your Green Card in the Lottery
- The US Government will notify the winners by regular postal mail
2. Education or Work Experience that Qualifies for the American DV-2023 Lottery
To enter the USA DV-2023 Diversity Visa Lottery you must comply with one of the following two requirements (Option 1 or Option 2 below) to qualify:
To qualify for the DV-2023 Diversity Visa Lottery you must have completed a U.S. high school education or a foreign equivalent of U.S. high school education “High School education or its equivalent” means the successful completion of a twelve-year course of elementary and secondary education in the U.S. or successful completion in another country of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to complete a 12-year education in the U.S. Passage of a high school equivalency examination is not sufficient. It is permissible to have completed one’s education in less than twelve years or greater than twelve years if the course of study completed is equivalent to a U.S. high school education; or
To qualify for the USA DV-2023 Diversity Visa lottery you must have worked in one of the following occupations for at least two years within the last five years:
Proof that you satisfy these requirements should NOT be submitted when entering the DV-2023 Lottery but will be requested by a consular officer after your name has been selected and you formally apply for your permanent residence (Green Card) visa.
Individuals who do not match these basic requirements should not apply to this program. You need to provide proof of education, work experience, and native country only if you are selected. For this reason, we do not request this information in the application form for the DV-2023 Green Card Lottery.